Friday, May 26, 2006

WILL OUR STUDENTS BE READY IN 2020?




For the times, they are a’changin’. Bob Dylan, 1964

The first real computer I ever saw was when I was in college in the early ‘70’s. It was huge by today’s standards: it was about six or seven feet high and about four feet wide. It hissed, sputtered, and moaned – and after some typed cryptic promptings would display letters and numbers on a tiny black and white screen. As students, we had to stand in line to use it, and for the life of me, I just didn’t appreciate the power of that big, ugly grey piece of steel machinery. I resented standing in line to use something that made no sense to me. I’m embarrassed to say that I just didn’t ‘get it’. That was more than thirty years ago.
all rights reserved...to be continued...

No comments: