Thursday, February 16, 2006

THE POST 9/11 CLASSROOM...continued...



THE SOLUTION:
Erase and Educate

Arab-American stereotypes are so pervasive and persistent in our post 9/11 society that I feel that it is my duty and responsibility to familiarize myself with the Arab culture. I need to recognize some of my own misconceptions of the Arab people. This is a crucial first step: advice from the ERIC Digest website has stated that “It is tempting to deny our prejudices and claim that we find all children equally appealing. Teachers and parents need to acknowledge that we, like our children, are inevitably influenced by the stereotypes and one-sided view of society that exists in our schools and in the media” (Gomez, Rey, A. 1991). To become more enlightened, I think (no, I know) that I must make a serious and sustained effort to reach a much higher level of cultural competency. As a teacher with an increasingly more diverse student population, I need to confront my prejudices aggressively. A good way to start is to erase my misconceptions and educate myself about this segment of our population.

...all rights reserved...to be continued...

No comments: