Thursday, January 19, 2006

THE POST 9/11 CLASSROOM ...continued...



As an African-American I bristle when I see old photographs of black people being lynched. I cringe when I look at old movies and see blacks being portrayed as clowns and buffoons. I am disturbed when I hear young black males callously use the word ‘nigger’. My own parents grew up in the era of ‘Jim Crow’ laws: separate schools, separate water fountains, separate restrooms, etc. When I was a child, there were no black dolls. There were no brown people in any of my ‘Dick and Jane’ reading books. I could not mention Malcolm X or Martin Luther King without getting stern looks from my white teachers. As a student, I learned history from a Eurocentric point of view and I resented it. As a minority in this country, I am very aware of prejudice and racial stereotypes. So, because I, myself, am a victim of racial stereotyping, I certainly would be more sensitive and not have prejudiced views of others…..right? Unfortunately, I am embarrassed to realize that I am not that enlightened.
Copyright, 2006...to be continued....

No comments: